Zen philosophy teaches us peace, focus and awakening.
Welcome to this blog on Zen philosophy. Friends, it is difficult for me to explain to you in words, what exactly is Zen philosophy because words and speeches are inferior forms of communication. Nevertheless, I will try to explain to you what is Zen philosophy and how you could benefit from following Zen in your life all the way till your last breath.
- Zen teaches you simplicity of mind, food, actions and behaviour. Think simple, eat simple, keep your actions and behaviour simple and stress free.
- Zen is all about waking up, washing, cleaning, eating, working sincerely, social activities, maintaining your mind and body, meditating and sleeping.
- Zen meditation teaches you to think nothing when meditating; if distracted, chant “I am thinking nothing” and you will think nothing.
- Zen teaches you to know your very own nature; observe yourself and your activities and accordingly correct yourself. Everyone, a man, a dog or an elephant has the Buddha nature.
- Zen does not believe in duality. We create distinctions out of our own mind and then believe them. There is no good or bad. It is only the circumstances due to which one is good or bad.
- Zen believes all in this world are illusion. Like you cannot catch a bubble or a cloud, likewise you cannot hold on to anything you love; mother, father, sister, brother spouse, all will perish, it is only a matter of time. So do not attach yourself to these; see everything as illusion.
- Religious activities are all delusions; seeking help from Gods, praying to Gods, expecting from Gods, offering to Gods are all delusions. God may exist alright, it is not our place to communicate with God or Gods for anything because we are autonomous beings, meaning, we are answerable to ourselves. Do not be afraid of any God(s), police, laws or anyone; be afraid of your own doings and your very own Karma(s) because only your karma(s) is responsible for the rewards and/or punishments that you will get in this world or the next birth, when, where and how we do not know. This is the cause and effect law.
- Zen philosophy is against hurting any living being, violence or eating animals. This is totally against the Zen philosophy of non-violence (Ahimsa); have compassion and mercy for all.
- Avoid anger says Zen, for anger only kills you and not the person you are angry at.
- Since childhood, children should be taught these basic Zen laws so that they grow up to be responsible and good human beings.
- The success of your soul is avoiding rebirth in this world. This you can do by detaching yourself from the worldly ways. So long you live in this world you may enjoy all the facilities but attaching to those will ensure re-birth and re-birth means suffering in this world once again in any life form.
- When you follow Zen philosophy sincerely, you will notice quality in your way of life and in your work. This is because Zen teaches you to focus in all what you do. You become a better person, a better worker and a better citizen. You live with no greed or passion, undue ambition, expectation and false desires. You become free of stress, anger and violence. Your soul is free from the undue greed for worldly possessions.
- To know more about Zen philosophy, ask me for a free lecture for your group, big or small. My fees? Your promise to lead a Zen life full of compassion,love and mercy for all living beings, man and animals alike. Detest violence and abusing yourself and others.
Eric Ershad Hossain Buddhadharma